Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Ten Minute Block Lap Quilt

Have you seen the 10-Minute Block?  There is a wonderful video by Suzanne McNeill of Design Originals on YouTube with a quick run through of the basic technique, and she also has 2 books with great ideas.  I know this has been around for a little while, but I just discovered it and boy, is it fun!  Three quick seams and you've created an almost 20 inch block!

I used a Park Avenue layer cake and once I got the hang of how to fiddle with the fabric before sewing that third seam it took less than 10 minutes per block.  When you first start out, the pinning is what consumes the bulk of your time but as you get better it will go more quickly.  (I've done all of 6 blocks and I feel like I'm an expert!)  There are different ways of dealing with the center diamond, and I chose to stitch down both sides of the curved seam, reminiscent of Cathedral Windows.  I just love how this turned out kinda scrappy but also cohesive with the rich red centers.  It was a fun way of putting together a roughly 40 x 60 lap quilt in no time flat.


She's all basted and ready to be quilted, but I can't decide what to do.  I think I might draw a continuous leaf pattern and try to do that.  I could echo quilt the red curved center sections but then what else?  And I thought choosing fabric combinations was hard!  I've stalled out at the quilting phase of this project.



I have yardage in one of the blues, but I've decided it should be bound in red so I've ordered more.  So much for my fabric diet!  I never would have chosen the cocoa or chocolate colors to go with the pale blue, ivory and red but I really love this collection!  I'm considering doing another in just the reds, ivorys & blues from Park Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment