Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Breakfast on the Patio

We had a beautiful warm spell last weekend, and I decided to celebrate by filling my birdfeeders.  There had been so much birdsong when I woke up Sunday morning that I knew it was time to bid my feathered friends welcome to my garden for the spring!  I filled my birdfeeder, hung it outside, and sat down on the patio steps with my new camera.  (Inserting shameless plug for the shop here - like my feeder?  Click on the photo to see!  We have a matching birdhouse too.)

 




[caption id="attachment_77" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Dragonfly Tube Feeder from Dragonfly Garden"]d[/caption]

Within minutes, there were chickadees on the tree branches, chirping away.  I had scattered some seed on the ground, in order to entice anyone flying by, and was rewarded with a cardinal couple. Mr. and Mrs. came to munch on the seeds all over the ground. Mrs. had a few, and then flew up to sit on the fence post, while Mr. continued to eat.  Then I saw him pick up a black sunflower seed, fly up to the fence post where Mrs. was sitting and chirping, and he fed it to her!  It was amazing.  I have never witnessed such a thing, and I got to see it twice.  Didn't get the camera to react quickly enough of course, but that's okay.  Here are my new friends ...

cardinal-couple


After they flew off, I had another visitor.  This one had a fluffy tail, a furtive look and was carrying a peanut.  I am really enjoying the new camera - this shot was a digital zoom from the original.  I love technology!




[caption id="attachment_79" align="aligncenter" width="510" caption="Mr Peanut"]Mr Peanut[/caption]

 

All in all, Katie & I had a nice morning sitting out there watching the wildlife come to our backyard.  I was tickled to see that the birds would come to the feeder, even with me sitting there, and with the dog sitting there too.  I am really hoping to have a nest built in one of my birdhouses, and maybe I can see cardinal babies later this spring.  The past few mornings, I have been watching, and have seen chickadees, sparrows, mourning doves and a male and female cardinal.  I don't know if it is the same cardinal couple, but I'm hoping it is.  The mourning doves took a splash in the birdbath yesterday - its turning into quite the social gathering place!

No comments:

Post a Comment