Friday, August 13, 2010

You're always a weiner at Pedro's

What trip along the East Coast is complete without a visit to South of the Border in South Carolina?  When I was a little girl, our family drove from Buffalo to various Florida destinations about once a year and we almost always stopped to take a picture with Pedro the mascot of South of the Border.  We have tons of shots of my sister and I slowly getting taller while the same statue of Pedro gets shorter.  I think his statue was about 5 feet tall.  Needless to say, the little town has developed quite a few more buildings in the last 30 years, not to mention the giant elevator ride to the top of Pedro's Sombrero tower (seen in the background below).   A couple of years ago, I stopped and took a shot of my dog Katie reluctantly standing next to Pedro just for a giggle.  Much to our surprise, when we stopped last week we could not find a short statue of Pedro, so we had to pick a tall one for our family photo shoot.

niece and nephew with tall Pedro

Katie has chosen not to participate in this picture.  Wait till I dig out an old picture of me & my sister - I'm sure the little ones will roll on the floor laughing.  They sure do enjoy seeing old photos of their mother, and as the little sister I do my best to pick out the worst ones. ;)  Luckily she knows I'm just teasing.

Unfortunately, I was not able to capture any good shots of the fun billboards that entertain travellers throughout North and South Carolina.  Some of our family favorites are the one with the big hot dog that says "You're always a weiner at Pedro's - You never sausage a place!" and the one with the rotating sheep that says "All your sheep are counted at Pedro's."  I loved those billboards as a child, and I must admit I still get a kick out of them!  There are many more fun animal statues in the little town though and the kids especially liked the elephants ...




"My, what big tusks you have!"

I found it very difficult to make time to blog while on our trip, and the resulting guilt is not a good feeling.  Ah well, tomorrow is another day, fresh with no mistakes in it, as Anne of Green Gables would say.  (Ha - there's the green for this month's NaBloPoMo theme! Green Gables!)

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment