Friday, April 29, 2011

Rack 'em up!

The Daisy Chain lap quilt is finally finished and has been duly tested several evenings in a row on the couch.  Here it is on a quilt rack that my mom purchased for me ages ago.  I wish she could see the rack with my own quilt on it.   



This is my first quilt, so please gently ignore any crooked seams or things you would have done differently.  This was the brightest room in the house today, so would you please also excuse the presentation on the doors of my fabric stash cabinet!?!? I couldn't bear to put it on the floor just yet for a full photo shoot.  How silly is that?  Here's the front:


And the back:
It completely slipped my mind to make a label, so I intend to embroider the details or applique a label soon.  I love the large panel in the back.  It's visually soothing compared to the front.  I just read a great blog post by Julie of Jayburd Quilts over on the Robert Kaufman blog.  She shared some wonderful photos of her quilt backs and opened the discussion to ask how people like to prepare their backs.  Since this is a lap quilt which will live on my couch and get lots of use, I didn't want the back to be scrappy or seem unplanned.  The math was easy to figure out with one large leftover bit and a frame of white.  The wide binding was a way to fix an error that happened during quilting.  Ooops - the cat is out of the bag now!

Not bad for a first try!  I'd like to do a coordinating pillow cover for a throw pillow, and then my next project is a narrow quilt to fit on the backseat of my car for Katie's travels.  Let's be honest, its to protect the backseat upholstery from muddy, leafy, dirty, detritis-filled paws!

Happy stitching!



1 comment:

  1. Your quilt is very pretty -- and I am guessing that after this first success, it will be the first of many! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete