Saturday, February 19, 2011

Daisy Chain

I had my own little Friday night sewing session and I am a happy girl.  True confession time: I have never finished an actual quilt.  Mostly I have made applique blocks and a few pieced blocks, and lots of small sewing projects but when it comes to coordinating fabrics and picking a pattern, I stumble around and never accomplish anything.  I buy alot of fabric, but I've never committed to a quilt.  A while ago I bought a set of 5 inch fabric charms from Amy Butler's Daisy Chain line in the blues, but its not a pre-made charm pack.  A seller on eBay (Material Girl Chic) groups about 8 different fabrics and you get 5 of each.  I love her kits!  I have the hardest time choosing which fabrics go together well, even from a single line, let alone a whole shop full of choices.  Her well designed kits make it super easy.



So I purchased the set of Daisy Chain in blues, and decided to start easy.  Since there were 5 of each pattern, I just lined them up on my design wall (aka flannel pinned to the wall) and decided to do white sashing.  Simple, pleasing to the eye, and hopefully not too much of a challenge for my first finished quilt.  Once I got the math figured out for the size I wanted, I realized that I needed 6 charms in some fabrics and had to shop.  Shucks, I had to shop. ;)  I picked out the fabrics that I needed for the extra charms, for an inner border, for the binding and for an interesting back.

I started chain piecing and I plugged away for a good hour or so, until I needed to rip out one seam.



I fixed my seam and quit for the night, with 5 of my 8 rows all ready for the next set of sashing.  I'm using white Moda muslin for the sashing because I have alot on hand. Can you tell which rows are sewn together? 



I can't wait till Sunday afternoon when I can go at it again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment