Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I stress, therefore I knit.

First and foremost, I am grateful that I live in beautiful, peaceful place and that my family is healthy and mostly happy.  My heart goes out to the parts of our country that have had such catastrophic weather lately.   I haven't had any monstrous issues myself, but a series of little stresses piled on top of one another and very little time away from my business has resulted in craving to knit.  I NEED to knit.  I NEED to make something pretty (or at least functional) that is all about me.  I NEED to do something that is totally under my control. 

So I've taken up the remainder of the hat I started for my dad back during the February blizzards.  Technically, a hat for my father is not all about me, but I'm willing to sacrifice that little aspect of the 'all about me' project.  It is a pewter grey from KnitPicks and will coordinate with the Prismatic Scarf I made for him out of Brooks Farms Solo.  The scarf took forever, but is so soft and warm and lovely, and most importantly he likes it!  The hat is a simple cable pattern from Knit Simple Winter 2006 / 2007.   I just spent an hour on it, and I can't tell you how good that 60 minutes of moving needles and yarn was, for my soul.  I feel like my batteries are slowly recharging, and maybe, just maybe, I can handle the curve balls that have been thrown at me lately!

I also decided to submit an idea for the Cooperative Press's new series, Fresh Designs.  I saw a twitter about the call for submissions and I thought of something really cute that I've wanted to do for a while, and I just went right ahead and filled out the form.  I've never designed a project like this, and I think I'd like to get into creating my own patterns and self-publishing.  Having a professional deadline would give me just the kick in the butt I need to get my feet wet.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment